Friday, July 20, 2012

Spell It Out

When you're making a reservation over the phone, you will have to give your name. Your name might be difficult for English speakers to understand, in which case you should spell it to them. You can do this by giving the letter plus "as in" or "like" and a common English word. The example dialogue uses a common Korean name, but the whole alphabet is listed below.

Dialouge
Receptionist:Can I have your full name please?
Caller: Yes, my name is Jin Cheol Shin. Do you need me to spell it for you?
Receptionist: Yes, please.
Caller: First is J like james, next is I like ice cream, N like Norway, then space, then C like Cat, H like...



Jin Cheol Shin
J like James
I like Ice cream
N like Norway

C like Cat
H like Hat
E like Echo
O like Orange
L like Lion

S like Summer
H like Hat
I like Ice Cream
N like Norway

Alphabet
A - Apple
B - Banana
C - Cat
D - Dog
E - Echo
F - Flower
G - Good
H - Hat
I - Ice Cream
J - James
K - Kite
L - Lion
M - Money
N - Norway
O - Orange
P - People
R - Radio
S - Summer
T - Tiger
U - Umbrella
V - Violin
W - Water
Y - Yellow
Z - Zebra

Note: These are examples. Any clear and common English word is fine.
"Q" and "X" are omitted because they are rare and easily understood over the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment