Thursday, May 31, 2012

I'm going to FOG you UP!

To fog up is a seldom used, but occasionally needed phrasal verb that describes when a transparent or reflective surface becomes coated with a fine mist, i.e. fog. Mirrors, glasses and windows are the things that most often "fog up" and examples of this phenomenon follow.

#1) His wife was taking a shower while he was trying to shave. The steam from the shower fogged up the window, so he had to wipe the mirror repeatedly.

#2) The weather was cold outside that day. When I entered the warm restaurant, my glasses fogged up and my friends laughed at me.

#3) During Titanic, Leonardo and Kate Winslet were in the back of a car, doing something conveniently off-camera. It was a noisy activity and fogged up the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment