Sunday, December 5, 2010

Prevention

to stop/keep someone from doing something
Example: #1) My wife stopped me from quitting my job by reminding me of the poor job market. #2) I kept my best friend from making a big mistake.


to prevent something
Example: The hero prevented a robbery by tackling the robber.


to hold someone back -- to prevent someone from doing something, positive or negative.
Example: #1) I wanted to punch the guy, but my friends held me back. #2) I dream of world travel, but my family is holding me back.


to be tied down -- to be connected to something/someone that keeps you from doing something, probably related to a relationship or marriage.
Example: He is hesitant to get married because he doesn't want to be tied down.


to be tied up with something-- to be busy with something that prevents you from doing other things.
Example: I would love to help you, but I'm tied up with work at the moment.


"My hands are tied." -- "There's nothing I can do."
Example: Even though I don't like the decision, it came from the boss. My hands are tied.

No comments:

Post a Comment