Monday, December 6, 2010

The Truth

A half truth is a statement that is true, but it neglects an important piece of information. A half truth is, therefore, a misleading truth. For example, Kevin has a wife who doesn't like his smoking. He promised her that he would quit. One night, he went to the bar with his friends. He smoked a few cigarettes outside the bar. When he comes home, his wife smells smoke. She asks, "Were you smoking at the bar with your friends?" He answers, "No, I didn't smoke at the bar." However, he smoked outside of the bar, and he didn't tell his wife. This is a half truth.

To tell you the truth or Truth be told is an expression said before telling an unpleasant or difficult truth. Someone usually asks a question, and what follows is an unpleasant answer.

Example:

#1) Wife: "Do you want me to cook pasta tonight?" Husband: "To tell you the truth, I don't like your pasta."

#2) Ex-boyfriend: "Why did you break up with me?" Ex-girlfriend: "Truth be told, I wasn't sexually interested in you."

To be true to someone means to be loyal or faithful to someone.

Example: Daniel is true to his friends, showing all of them loyalty and respect. That's why his relationships are so strong.

To be untrue to someone means to be disloyal or unfaithful to someone, usually it means cheating on your spouse or lover.

Example: She accused me of being untrue to her, but I found out she was the one that cheated on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment