Sunday, July 11, 2010

Believe / Believe In / Trust

This another situation where a Korean word (BIT-DO) has two English translations. Believe and Trust are often confused. Likewise, to believe and to believe in have different meanings.

to believe - this is generally only used for trust in one situation.
Example: He told me he was with his friends, and I believe him.
My brother says he wasn't at the Web Cafe' yesterday, but I don't believe him.
My husband promised to give up smoking, but I'll believe it when I see it.


to believe in - this is for belief in the existence of something, or a belief in someone's abilities.
Example: I believe in God and ghosts.
I don't believe in vampires, and I hate the Twilight series.
You can win this race. I believe in you.


to trust - this is stronger than "to believe" and can apply to a general attitude towards someone.
Example: I trust my son, so I don't believe he would cheat.
I would trust you with my life.
Her bad relationships make it difficult to trust men.
Don't trust anyone who promises the world.
I don't trust my government.

No comments:

Post a Comment