Monday, July 19, 2010

Flip

One word that can be underused by English learners is Flip. There are a few common uses and expressions for the word, as seen below:

to flip / to do a flip - for a person or object this means to turn over completly (or maybe half)
The boy jumped on the trampoline and did a flip.
The SUV turned too quickly and flipped.
The dolphin flipped in the air for the audience.

to flip - in America, it can also mean to be really excited, or really angry
When I said I was getting married, my parents flipped. (excited)
I flipped when I heard I got the acting job. (excited)
When your mother sees this mess, she is going to flip. (angry)

Hot Tip!!! to flip out is the same as to flip, when you're angry. Example: My neighbor flipped out when he saw the damage to his car.


to flip over - this means to turn over on its other side
I flipped over the record to listen to the other side.
Flip over the pancake or it will burn!
The turtle was on its back, trying very hard to flip over.

to flip (someone) off / to flip off (someone) - this means showing someone your middle finger, it's rude, you're probably angry
I got arrested for flipping off a policeman.
The taxi driver almost hit me with his car, and flipped me off as he passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment