Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Even if / Even though / Even when

This is a quick tip I took from my in-class lessons. It's the difference between even if, even though and even when.


even if means you will take an action, despite a possible event that may otherwise deter you.

Example: He's going to the seaside this weekend even if it rains.

Even if you beg me, I won’t give you any money.

Even if I had the money, I wouldn't waste it on buying a car.


even though means you will that you will take (are taking, have taken) an action, despite an event that may otherwise deter you.

Example: I’m going to his birthday party, even though I don’t like him.

Even though my parents don’t approve, we are getting married.

The man wouldn't give money to the poor, even though he was rich.


even when means an event occurs (occurred) routinely despite another event that may otherwise deter it.

Example: Even when it was snowing, he still went for a jog every morning.

He always makes time to be with his family, even when he's really busy at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment