Monday, July 19, 2010

Embarrassment

Embarrassed is often used too broadly by Korean, English learners. The best way to understand this and other feelings is to tell you situations where you would feel this way.

to be embarrassed
I was embarrassed when I walked into the woman's toilet by mistake.
Embarrassingly, I spilled coffee all over my shirt.
I tried to approach a pretty girl, but embarrassed myself by tripping on my own feet.

to feel/be awkward (for situations that are mutually embarrassing)
We hadn't met before, so it was a very awkward dinner.
During our date, I felt very awkward asking her to pay for half the meal.
I briefly lost my presentation notes, and I spent a few awkward minutes looking for them.

to be frustrated (when you want something to happen, but it doesn't)
I was very frustrated by the lack of cooperation on our team.
It's very frustrating when my computer stops working.
It's frustrating talking to my husband about anything. He doesn't listen.

to (be) upset
I was upset when my friend criticized me.
The newspaper article upset me.
It's always upsetting when a family breaks up.

No comments:

Post a Comment