Thursday, July 8, 2010

Korean Vocabulary Errors

There are two common Korean vocabulary errors when translating the words, NOL-DA and JAE-MEET-DA. I've heard these mistakes even at a high level.

#1) NOL-DA means to play in English. However, when you become a teenager, you don't really play anymore. As an adult, you usually hang out. Although, you can play something if it's a specific, like a board game or sport.

Examples:
When my sister and I were young, we liked to play with dolls.
The children spent all afternoon playing in the park.

I played basketball in university.
Let's play Monopoly. I haven't played that game in about 10 years.

I hung out with my friends on Friday night.
If you have the chance, let's hang out after work.



#2) JAE-MEET-DA means three different things in English: funny, fun, interesting. These all have different meanings in English, and they should definitely be treated separately. Individually, they have more than one meaning, but I think a rough guide will be more useful than a full description.

If something is fun, it makes you happy and you enjoy it/them.
Example: I had a fun time last night, and I hope we can do it again.
Let's have some fun at the amusement park next weekend.
Barry is a really fun guy, and I hope to see more of him.

If something is funny, it makes you laugh.
Example: The movie was funny, and I couldn't stop laughing.
Jerry is a funny guy. He's always telling jokes.

If something is interesting, it makes you think.
Example: The class was interesting. I feel like I got a lot of new ideas.
The book was very interesting. I couldn't put it down.
Perry is really interesting. I could listen to him talk for hours.


Note: This is a rough guide to fun, funny, and interesting. Consult your dictionary if you think you need more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment