Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Showing Preference

These are a few main ways to show preference in English, but sometimes the included grammar is mixed up. Be careful with these terms, especially "to" and "than", infinitive verbs and gerunds.


Prefer

#1a) to prefer something to something else
Example: I prefer motorcycles to cars.

#1b) to prefer doing something to doing something else
Example: I prefer driving a motorcycle to driving a car.
I prefer swimming to running.

#1c) to prefer (to do) something
Note: You can use this to express a preference when the alternative is already known.
Example: Would you like to eat Italian food?
Answer #1 -- No, I would prefer sushi.
Answer #2 -- No, I would prefer to eat sushi.


Would Rather

to rather do something than do something else
Note: This is used for simple present verbs.

Example: I would rather live abroad than stay in my home country.
I would rather go the movies than go to a play.


Like More Than

#1) to like something more than something else
Example: I like weekends more than weekdays.
I like my daughter more than my son.

#2) to like doing something more than doing something else
Example: I like walking in the park more than walking through the city.
I like talking on the phone more than writing emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment