Thursday, June 24, 2010

"-ate" Verb Mistakes

Even with high level speakers, I hear a few common mistakes with "-tion" nouns that become "-ate" verbs. There are are many words that can be converted correctly. For example:

I made a donation.
I'm going to donate money.


The activation of the security system hasn't begun.
I'm going to activate the security system.


The extermination of the rodents will be messy.
We will exterminate the rodents brutally.




Sometimes, the noun and verb don't share the same meaning:

I'm going on vacation.
I'm going to vacate the country. (to vacate means "to leave an area, usually by public order or to avoid a disaster")


Some "-ate" verbs are incorrect. These are the four most common:
We had a conversation.
We conversed.
We conversated. (incorrect)

We need to make a reservation at a hotel.
We need to reserve a room.
We need to reservate a room. (incorrect)

I gave a presentation.
I presented a lot of information.
I presentated. (incorrect)

You're pronunciation is clear.
You pronounce your words very clearly.
You pronunciate very well.


Color Scheme:
Correct
OK--but not preferred
Incorrect

No comments:

Post a Comment