Monday, June 28, 2010

Memory (part 1)

Memory is a grammatically difficult subject for many English learners.
The events and actions regarding memory are the same or similar, and we don't always know how to treat them separately. This is a short guide for how to do that.

Memory (uncountable) is the ability to record information or events, and the ability to recall them later.

Memory (countable) is a record of information or events. (pl. memories)


Hot Tip!!!: Since the ability to recall information and the information use the same word, try to use the plural "memories" when discussing the information.

For example:
"I have a bad memory." means you cannot recall information easily.
"I have bad memories of my childhood." means you recall negative events from your childhood.
In the same way, "I have a great memory." means you can recall information easily.
"I have great memories of my vacation." means you recall great events from your vacation.

If you want to discuss one particular memory (countable), it's probably better to use the word "experience."

Example:
"I have a bad memory of that date." (not preferable)
"I had a bad experience during that date." (good)

"The earthquake was the worst memory of my life."
"The earthquake was the worst experience of my life."


Also, it's possible to say "I have no memory of/from..." which is the countable form and means you cannot recall specific information or events.

Example:
"I have no memory of last night." means you probably drank too much and forgot what you did.
"I have no memory from that summer camp." means you went to a summer camp, but you can't recall anything about it.


Color Scheme:
Correct
OK--but not preferred
Hot Tip!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment