Monday, June 21, 2010

Care About or Care For

Today, let's discuss the phrasal verbs care about and care for, which is a major source of confusion for English learners.

Caring about something only refers to your feeling towards it. Example: #1) Soccer is a stupid sport and I don't care about the World Cup. #2) I care about the environment, but I feel powerless to do anything about it. #3) I send my children to an institute because I care about their education.

Caring for someone can be a very strong statement of your emotions, usually it is romantic. Example: I care for you, but I can't marry you.

Caring for something can also be an action, and mean that you are providing for their basic needs. Example: #1) I cared for my husband while he was sick. #2) My children need me and it's me duty to care for them.

However, to not care for something can mean you dislike it. (Note: it is a little formal, so most people use: "don't like") Example: #1) I don't care for caramel coffee. #2) I don't care for action movies.

That's it today.
Take care! ^^
Lance Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment