Monday, June 28, 2010

Memory (part 2)

To Memorize means to commit something to memory.

To Remember
means:
(#1) to recall information from memory.
(#2) to not forget something.
(#3) to put information into your memory (e.g. to commit something to memory).



As you see, memorize and remember (#3) have the same definition. However, in everyday English, they aren't used in the same way.

Memorize is commonly used when remembering long lists of information.
Example: I memorized all of the countries and their capitals.
Sylvia is trying to memorize all of the chemicals in the periodic table.
When I was younger, I wanted to memorize the entire dictionary.

Hot Tip!!!: In all of these examples, you can replace memorize with learn.


Remember is used much more broadly than memorize because it has several more meanings.

Example: I remember where he works, but I don't remember where he lives.
This is embarrassing. I can't remember my own phone number.
Do you remember your old friend Richard from middle school?
I didn't remember my girlfriend's birthday, and she broke up with me.
I have to remember a lot of information for the test next week.
I tried to remember what my mother said, but I couldn't.
Remember me when I'm gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment