Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kicked Out, Let Go, and Dumped

There are many expressions for getting rid of someone you don't want any more. However, different entities have different ways of getting rid of unwanted people.

to kick someone out - this can be permanent removal from your home, or from a place where you're not wanted at the moment.

Example:
#1a) My parents kicked me out of the house because I quit school.
#1b) The landlord kicked the tenant out because he didn't pay his rent.
#2a) I was kicked out of the bar for starting a fight.
#2b) They kicked the vagrant out of the building for sleeping in the restroom.
#2c) My girlfriend kicked me out of bed for eating crackers.

to let someone go - this means you've been fired from your job.
#1) My company let me go because I was habitually late to work.

to be dumped - this means your boyfriend/girlfriend broke up with you, ending the relationship.
#1) Marie dumped Ronnie because of his excessive drinking.
#2) My ex-boyfriend dumped me because he thinks I'm too materialistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment