Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Marriage and Graduation

The two subjects of this post show how an event and the resulting status can be confused. Once your wedding has taken place, you are married. After that, you continue to have a marriage. Once your graduation has taken place, you are a graduate. The easiest way to explain all of this is to give a succession of examples (Note: watch the prepositions). Enjoy!

Example (Marriage):
I am a married man.
I'm married to a lovely woman.
I have been married for five years now.
We were married in the summer of 2005.
Our wedding was in a church.
I believe we have a very happy marriage.
A good marriage takes a lot of work, but it's worth it.


Example (Graduation):
I am a graduate.
I graduated with honors.
I have been a graduate for five years now.
I graduated in the summer of 2005.
My parents came to my graduation.
My brother will graduate next year.
He is graduating from the same university I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment